Thursday, January 30, 2014

SAVION!

My bf and I went to see Savion Glover at the Harris Theater on Friday, and let me tell you, 16 year old me wanted to be tap dancing in the aisles the whole time. This is the guy that made tap dance cool in the 90's around the same time as productions like STOMP. He's got award upon award, Tony to Academy, but there's some humility there, too. His homepage links only to his HooFeRz CLub School For Tap, and his bio in the playbill simply read, "Savion Glover (hoofer, father, husband) Praise Almighty God. Please enjoy the evening. Chaney, I love you."

My preview for Chicagoist is here, but it doesn't do the performance justice. (Sometimes for a one-off show, you gotta preview instead of review.) The show, called STePz, had great pacing between show offs, dance offs, even funny nods to those other dance classes you've gotta sit through as a student. They also also drew wonderful parallels between the complexities of jazz music and the sound of tap. Best of all, Glover makes it all look effortless. If you ever get a chance to see a legend like him live, do it.

No comments: