Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Dads

Last week we came home to frozen pipes after a trip to Mexico (more on that coming soon), making for an unwanted dramatic end to a trip that already had plenty of it's own drama (thanks, United Airlines). The next morning that same pipe promptly burst after thawing out, and with no shutoff valve to our building (thanks, landlord) we spent the day with two plumbers and water spraying all over our basement. All is good in the end though, nothing was ruined and we have a four foot section of brand spanking new copper pipe. 

Situations like this aren't usually that bad since I'm pretty handy around the house, thanks to my dad. When I was younger, he was always showing me and teaching me stuff that I didn't care about at the time, but that knowledge sticks and when the shit hits the fan (literally or figuratively), you can access it when it counts. Like when your pipes bust and you need to act fast. I may never change my own oil again, or change a tire, but I could if I had to. I watched that guy finish our family home's basement all on his own, so I could tell you a thing or two about hanging drywall. 

So, when I was installing our new insulation around the new pipe, taking precautions Dad would be proud of, I decided to thank him. I don't talk to my family as often as I should, so I thought he would appreciate an out of the blue text. 

Thanks, Dad, for teaching me as much home repair stuff as you did.

No comments: