Friday, January 27, 2012

Civic Duty

Today I had to serve jury duty for the first time. I was all nervous because the courthouse I was called to is pretty far from my house in a not-so-great area that I would probably never meander into for any other reason (plus I don't own a car and public transit to that area is pretty sketch). But I got there just fine and wouldn't you know it, my panel was called from the pool first thing. So I spent most of my time there in a courtroom watching the jury selection process for a murder trial.

I didn't end up getting chosen for the jury, in fact my group didn't even have to go through questioning, but I'm actually glad that I was forced out of my comfort zone for a day. Sometimes it's good to get a reminder of all the different types of people that are out there, with all different types of professions, life experiences, living conditions and opinions. We get so caught up in our own social circles and class levels that it's easy to lose sight of the big picture and how good your life can be.

No comments: