Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Go Cubs?

It's MLB Playoff season! Today is a big day for the Cubs because the newish Wild Card single playoff game will determine whether they have a shot at the World Series.

In fact, if not for this new playoff game, they wouldn't even have a chance. They're technically third in the division, meaning that division winners the Cardinals are automatically in, and number two Pirates would be the wild card rounding off the NL playoffs under the old rules. So I guess MLB is getting exactly what they wanted--the wild card game is making baseball more exciting.

Things are even crazier this year, though. These three teams--the Cardinals, Pirates and Cubs--actually have the three best records in the entire league. But the playoffs aren't made of the best by total numbers.

But wait, there's more! It dawned on me the other day that the Cubs could clinch the NL pennant on Back to the Future Day (October 21, 2015). It's scheduled to be game 4 of the NLCS. According to the movie, the Cubs would have already won the World Series by this date, so it's not completely fulfilling the prophecy, but it's eerily close. I mean, I'm not saying that Robert Zemeckis predicted the future or anything. There's a lot of stuff from Back to the Future II that hasn't happened, but there is a guy that looks just like Old Biff running for president...

Back to the Future Day is October 21, 2015
It all comes down to tonight's game. Personally, I'd love to see the Cubs move forward. They'd play my home team the Cardinals next in the NLDS, which would be super exciting (and stressful) for me living in Chicago while rooting for the rivals. And I can't say I wouldn't be excited to see the Cubs go all the way. I'd like to see what happens to this town if they did, and I guess you could say that after 106 107 years, they're due.

You'll never see me cheer for them, but I wouldn't hate it.

No comments: